1. You first need to have an IDEA or the DESIRE and it has to be specific to become a world famous artist. Decide which genre of art it is that you are most passionate about. Is it en plein air, portrait painting, figure drawing, abstract art, modern art, contemporary art, outsider art, folk art, graphic art, impressionist art, expressionist art or epicurean art? Pick the one that resonates with you the most and stick with it. If you cannot commit to any one in particular, then commit to a theme that can implement multiple genre but still keep the work coherent and consistent. Want more details? You can read it in my book 'A Strategic Painter: Mastermind Your Craft'.
2. You need to have the TIME as well as SPACE free of distractions (children, noises, friends, TV, lovers etc) to implement the idea. Without having the time and space, you cannot achieve your goal. We only have so many hours in a day. We are more productive at certain hours than others and if other activities take up our time when we are most alert and productive, we cannot progress as quickly. Without having a dedicated studio to create art, you cannot have the peace of mind to go and do your thing day after day. Ideally, you need a room for yourself that you can convert into your art studio.
|Frida Kahlo at work in her Art Studio|
3. You need to have the TALENT to utilize the time and space. If you don't have the talent to convey your message, time and space then are of no relevance. It is something that you are born with -- a natural aptitude or a flair for doing things. It takes years of practice to perfect your craft and that gives birth to craftsmanship. However, talent and great craftsmanship are not enough. You also need to develop a certain signature style that separates you from the rest of the other artists. In the art world we call it 'branding'. The earliest you can form a unique signature style, the better chance you have to reach your goal for the world fame. Theme also plays a major role if you can incorporate it in your work.
|Tamara de Lempicka in her Art Studio - Where talent meets the Will to Succeed.|
4. You will need to have the proper TOOLS or MATERIALS to achieve that talent. I am a painter and if I don't have the proper tools to work my magic -- no amount of time, space or talent would help me manifest my desire to become a world famous painter. My tools are of the highest quality that I can afford and they include Paints, Paint Brushes, Canvases, Easels, and Mediums. Tools are not cheap nor should you invest in cheap materials as it will have a huge impact on your branding.
5. You need to have TEMPERANCE to use the tools. One has to be present in the mind and the body to make the best of the time, space, talent and tools available. Indulgences of sorts can keep you from achieving optimum performance to manifest what you desire. Another word to use for temperance is one's will power. We can achieve anything we put our minds to if we have this one basic thing in us. It is easy to get into hedonistic lifestyle with alcohol and drugs to give you a fix. But if you give into these indulgences, you certainly don't have the fortitude to earn the title of becoming famous or world famous.
|Newsletters are Great Marketing Tools.|
6. You need to MARKET your art once you have created at least twenty five to thirty high quality paintings. Create a facebook and Google page. Open up a Linkedin account. Start a Blog where you can post your images and talk about your art and why it is relevant to you or anyone for that matter. All these social media channels are FREE and there is no excuse not to take advantage of them.
|Roopa Dudley in her 13'x13' Studio in Severn, MD|
- Publish a Coffee Table Art Book on Blurb or Lulu. It looks highly professional.
- Print out a Calendar by using your art on Zazzle. Use it as a Give-Aways (Gift) to collectors, and friends.
- Send out Quarterly Newsletters (above) to everyone who knows you and everyone you know. Talk about your accomplishments, achievements and future plans. (Accomplishments: Series Completed and Art Sold. Achievements: Awards Received and Works Published. Future Plans: New Series and Inspirations)
- Join a local Art Organization. I am a member of MFA. (Maryland Federation of Art). ME & MY ART - MFA
- Compete in juried shows and competitions including the ones in art magazines.
Art magazines like ArtAscent (above), Professional Artist, Fresh Paint, Sasee and Studio Visit are the prime examples of such art magazines that will publish your art if they deem it to be a good fit for their publication. Imagine your work in a glossy coveted magazine for millions to see. Now that is exposure!
|Frida Kahlo and I - Both Born On The 6th Of July - With An Artistic Eye!|
If you have met all the above criteria , there is nothing that can keep you from achieving what you seek. Okay maybe unfortunate events and death may damper your plan, but you get the picture. It is true that LUCK has a lot to do with success as well and it does exist. However, there is no substitute for consistency, hard work and innovative ideas. It can take some of you ten years and some twenty five to get the desired results. It all depends on how badly you want what you seek and how willing you are to make certain sacrifices to get there. You got to have "An Eye Of The Tiger". Good Luck!